Sunday, March 23, 2014

A Love Story

      Writing for me is a bit like therapy. Sometimes my brain is in overload. There is almost too much to take in, too much to do, too much to consider and way too much to sort out. Writing provides me with a sort of brain drain, if you will. It acts like a release valve that alleviates the pressure. This week was one of those weeks that I needed something to sooth the soul. So I write.

      Our dear friend, Dale Boyd, whom I wrote about in one of my very first blog posts, Week One, Victim One http://loveripples.blogspot.com/2013/01/so-hubby-and-i-have-decided-to-set-goal.html lost his beloved wife, Connie, on Friday to cancer.

      My heart aches for Dale. Losing your spouse must be a lot like losing a part of yourself, only worse. I cannot possibly imagine his pain and grief. I cannot possibly imagine what strength it has taken to endure the years of this relentless disease. I do know that what he and Connie shared was a special and deep bond that few people will ever know in this lifetime. Dale loved his wife deeply. He was completely devoted to her in every possible way. When he spoke of her he used words like "darling," "Angel" and "my wonderful wife." Most men complain about their women at least every once in awhile but not Dale. In the four years that I have known him, I have never heard him say a single bad thing about Connie and that really stood out to me. It speaks volumes about his loyalty and commitment.

      In a world where everything is disposable, trash, animals, relationships and even people, Dale's attention and devotion to Connie stood out in stark contrast. When Connie was first diagnosed with breast cancer, Dale told her to make a bucket list. They set about checking items off it. She beat cancer the first time and it looked as though her life and his might return to some normalcy. Unfortunately that peace was not meant to last for long and after only about a year of her retirement, the monster was back.

      They were both ridiculously strong through the whole ordeal. Connie moved home for awhile but then made the very selfless decision to move back to eastern carolina when it looked like the cancer was here to stay in order to put Dale closer to his family and friends. Connie was setting things in order and her top priority was Dale. She wanted him to have a support system after she was gone. That speaks volumes to her character and it certainly comes as no surprise. To have someone, anyone, love you as much as Dale did Connie, you have to have done something right with the life that you were given. My guess is that Connie did a whole lot of things right. She must have been a beautiful person inside and out.

      Michael and I never got the opportunity to know Connie well. We have really only known Dale for about four years. We met him when he starting working at our school. We first met Connie about the same time. She was teaching Creative Writing at the high school and our daughter Maddie was in her class. By the time we got to know and love Dale, Connie was already ill again. Cancer kept that friendship at bay. I am saddened by that. I would have really liked the chance to get to know her.

      To honor Connie, Michael and I are determined to do what she wished, take care of Dale and her sweet little dog Bella. As far as we are concerned our family has just grown by two.

      Dale and Connie's was a love story that needs to be cherished, honored and remembered. It serves as a wonderful example of selflessness, kindness and devotion.

      I pray that Connie may finally rest. No more pain. No more hurt. No more monsters.

P.S. One of Connie's favorite organizations was http://www.stompthemonsternc.org if you would like to make a donation in her name.

Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment