Thursday, January 10, 2013

An Attitude of Gratitude

      This blog is about giving thanks in tangible ways because sometimes saying thank you is simply not enough.

      My family and I have so many reasons to be thankful. My husband and I have great jobs that we love, healthy children and a good relationship. We also have fantastic parents. I know that I personally feel as though I have won the parental lottery. My folks are constantly there for me physically, emotionally, spiritually and financially. The love, attention, guidance and friendship that they have given are priceless gifts that I could never fully repay.

      This past year has been a tough one for our household and without the help of family, I don't think that we would ever have made it. Finances crashed, budgets went bust, stress became the norm and depression set in. As always Mom and Dad were there to help. Their regular visits were bright spots in an otherwise dark and dreary time. When things got tough they took us out to eat, bought us groceries and gave us money for expenses when we needed it most. More importantly, they helped us laugh, smile and relax. They became our lifeline. Thank God for lifelines!

      While their help is greatly appreciated it always makes me feel guilty. The last thing I ever want to be is a drain on them in any way. Their amazing generosity this past year and at Christmas time left me grateful but also determined. I was going to pay them back, somehow. I decided that the best way, perhaps the only way that I could ever hope to return their many favors was to pay it forward. After all, this is what they are all about. I am a teacher so there are plenty of opportunities daily to make a difference. Most of the time however, I am too busy or wrapped up in my own world to respond as effectively as I might. This year though, that is going to change. My focus will no longer be on just getting by and how to come up with the money to support my family each month. Oh, I will continue to work hard and try to keep some hooks in the water as far as my additional employment opportunities might go, beyond my 9 to 5, but my focus will be drastically different. I will search for people that I can help in one way or another. My theory is that once my focus changes, my life will change and if I'm lucky so will a lot of other lives as well.

      Someone once told me that each act of kindness, no matter how small, is like a rain drop hitting the surface of a still body of water. It creates a ripple. One little ripple. No one knows how far it will travel but it keeps going long after the drop has broken the surface of the water. This year it isn't going to be the money, or the cleaning, or my job or even my time off that takes top priority in my life. It is going to be the ripples because I have a lot of time to make up for, a lot of favors to return and a great many blessings to repay. Too many times I was too busy or too broke. I missed the opportunity to disturb the water's tranquil veneer. My little part of the ocean remained calm, like a sheet of glass. Now, the forecast is calling for rain.  :)

      Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment